Monday, July 31, 2017

[BTT040] John 19:23-24 / Psalm 22:18

Previous: [BTT039]  John 15:25 / Psalm 69:1-4


John 19:23-24 / Psalm 22:18


Fulfillment

Then the soldiers, when they had crucified Jesus, took His garments and made four parts, to each soldier a part, and also the tunic. Now the tunic was without seam, woven from the top in one piece. They said therefore among themselves, “Let us not tear it, but cast lots for it, whose it shall be,” that the Scripture might be fulfilled which says:
“They divided My garments among them,
And for My clothing they cast lots.”
Therefore the soldiers did these things.

Original
For dogs have surrounded Me;
The congregation of the wicked has enclosed Me.
They pierced My hands and My feet;
I can count all My bones.
They look and stare at Me.
They divide My garments among them,
And for My clothing they cast lots.

Comparison

What's to say? We might point out that this time the quotation in John is relatively close to the original (only the tense of 'divide' differs), but otherwise, it's just further confirmation of what we've already seen.

Again, one almost wants to smack John for skipping over "They pierced My hands and My feet," but alas.

Revised Point One: Prophecies often have multiple fulfillments

Re-Revised Point Two: The context may be misleading in prophecy

Point Three: Past, Present, and Future do not matter in prophecy

Re-Revised Point Four: The exact wording does not matter in prophecy, or we have a different version of the Old Testament than Jesus

Point Five: A passage does not have to be explicitly prophetic to be prophecy
Next: [BTT041] John 19:32-37 / Psalm 34:20 (arguably Exodus 12:43-46; Numbers 9:12) / Zechariah 12:7-10

No comments:

Post a Comment